IN RESPONSE TO THE COVID-19 VIRUS HEALTH EMERGENCY:
The Ashford Town Clerk’s Office is closed to the public and new office hours have been put in place until further notice. Our office will be staffed on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM. The public is asked to communicate all questions and requests by email, phone (leaving voicemail when necessary), or by mail. Staff will respond to all requests as soon as possible.
Do you need any of the following from the Town Clerk’s Office while we are closed to the public?
The Town Clerk’s Office will only be accepting check or money order
(No Cash) at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.
LAND RECORD COPIES, RECORDINGS AND TITLE SEARCHES:
Copies can be requested via mail along with a check for payment.
As always, we accept recordings via mail, including couriers (Fed-Ex, UPS, etc.) We do NOT have a drop box, and recordings may not be left at the door. To set up eRecording to submit recordings you may contact CSC, Simplifile or ePN.
Ashford Land records are available online at:https://cottsystems.com/recordhub-search-gateway/ The index goes back to December 31, 1958 and images back to 1707. Cott Systems will be making their CT town land records available for $2.00 per page with “No Subscription Fee” starting 12:00 Noon on Monday, March 23, 2020, until further notice. Instructions from Cott are below.
Temporary RECORDhub Subscription
To facilitate greater access to online records, we have implemented a temporary RECORDhub subscription for Connecticut Town Clerks with NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE and $2.00 per page prints. This new temporary subscription became available 12:00 am on Monday, March 23, 2020, and will continue until further notice. The subscription will be named “Land Records – Temporary No Fee” and will be available in the list of subscription options for each town. This is a “day forward” option beginning March 23, 2020. All current RECORDhub subscriptions will remain in effect.
To Use the “Land-Records-Temporary No Fee” Subscription
Log into RECORDhub and select the town your would like to view, then follow these steps:
– Select “View Pricing Plans” under the “Land Records – Temporary No Fee” subscription
– Click “Add to Cart”
– Click “Proceed to Cart”
– Once in the cart, click “Finish”
– A confirmation of the $0 purchase will display. Click “Close”
The town is now available for searching. Images will be viewable with a watermark. You may print images without the watermark for $2/page. You will need to follow the steps above for each town you wish to view using the temporary no fee subscription. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact: Customer Support | 1-800-588-2688 | firstname.lastname@example.org.
FISH & GAME LICENSES:
You can obtain your own Fish and Game License on the DEEP website at:
https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Permits-and-Licenses/Permits-and-Licenses Payment is by credit card.
FILING OF DEATH CERTIFICATES:
If you are from a funeral home and need to file death certificates and/or obtain burial and cremation permits, please call to arrange for an appointment.
CERTIFIED COPIES OF BIRTH, DEATH, AND MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES:
These can be obtained through the mail. Mail the Town Clerk’s Office a written request (links to the proper forms can be found on the Town Clerk’s page on the Town website (www.ashfordtownhall.org) along with a copy of your ID, and $20.00 (check) for each certified copy. We will mail the certified copy to you the day we receive your request.
If you are getting married in Ashford, you will need to obtain your marriage license from the Ashford Town Clerk’s Office. Print out the Marriage License Worksheet on the Town Clerk’s page on the Town website (www.ashfordtown.org) and complete it. Please call to make an appointment for your marriage license. If possible, please provide the completed form prior to your appointment via email (email@example.com) so we can prepare the marriage license ahead of time. Both parties will need to be present to show us identification and sign the license. There is a $50.00 fee (check only) for the marriage license. During this time, the expiration date of the license is also extended from 65 days to 125 days.
Mail us the dog’s rabies certificate, spay or neuter certificate, a complete dog license application (link to this form can be found on the Town Clerk’s page on the Town website (www.ashfordtownhall.org) and a check ($8.00 if spayed/neutered, $19.00 if NOT spayed/neutered as well as any late fees), as well as a stamped, self-address envelope, and we will mail you the dog license. Our mailing address is Ashford Town Clerk, 5 Town Hall Road, Ashford, CT 06278 . Urgent dog licenses per order of the Animal Control Officer will be handled at the Town Hall. Please call (860) 487-4401 to let us know you are coming.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Ned Lamont signed an executive order allowing all registered voters in Connecticut to vote absentee in the August 11, 2020 primary. Secretary of the State Denise Merrill mailed every registered Democrat and Republican in the state an application that they will need to fill out and return in order to obtain an absentee ballot. That application, which will be sent via U.S. Postal Service, will include a postage paid return envelope. Beginning July 21, 2020, all voters who requested an absentee ballot will receive the ballots in the mail, which will also include a postage paid return envelope.
Ashford will also have a secure ballot drop box, located on the front porch of the Town Office Building, to allow voters to deliver their absentee ballots in person without close personal contact. For those who would still like to appear in person to cast their vote, our polling locations will remain open, however, the ability to vote absentee will ensure that the democratic process continues safely and securely.
Check your voter registration status at: https://portaldir.ct.gov/sots/LookUp.aspx
The office of the Town Clerk is the repository for the maintenance and safekeeping of records for the Town of Ashford. Housed in the fire-proof vault or in the office of the Town Clerk are all land records, Town Meeting minutes, Town Ordinances, birth/marriage/civil union/death records, land surveys, election records, trade names, liquor permits, contracts, town reports, veterans discharge filings, Town board/commission/agency agendas and minutes, listings of Notaries Public, Justices of the Peace, election records, and other historical documents. In addition to maintaining records, the Town Clerk’s Office is the place to go for absentee ballots, copies of vital records, dog licenses, marriage licenses, voter registration forms, etc.
- Sherri L. Mutch, CCTC, CMC, Town Clerk – Appointed by Selectmen
- Karen M. Zulick, CCTC, Assistant Town Clerk – Appointed by Town Clerk
- Beverly G. Ference, CCTC, Assistant Town Clerk – Appointed by Town Clerk
Fee Increases Effective July 1, 2018 – Public Act No. 18-136
- Liquor Permit Filing: $ 20.00
- Misc. Document Filing (trade names) $ 10.00
- Map Filing & Indexing: $ 20.00
- Subdiv. Map Filing & Index: $ 30.00
- Notary Public Oath & Comm. $ 20.00
- Notary Public Character Certification $ 5.00
- Marriage License Fee: $ 50.00
- Removal, Transit and Burial Permit $ 5.00
- Cremation Permit: $ 5.00
Our indexes are now available online at the Cott Systems Portal, a fee based on-line access to Town records.
The Town Clerk’s office maintains records pertaining to property transactions in the Town of Ashford such as deeds, mortgages, liens, maps, condominium documents, easements and certain probate matters.
- Recording fees are $60.00 for the first page of a document and $5.00 for each subsequent page.
- When recording a document with conveyance consideration, an additional $2.00 fee is charged to cover administrative costs for filing the forms with the State of Connecticut Revenue Department. (www.ct.gov/drs)
- The recording fee for a map is $10.00, Subdivisions are $20.00.
- Copies of land records are available for $1.00 per copy.
- There is a $2.00 fee to certify a copy of a document.
- There is a $20.00 fee for hand-held scanner usage.
- All fees and charges are set by State of Connecticut Statutes.
Dog License Application (pdf)
Pursuant to Connecticut General Statute the owner of each dog over the age of six (6) months must license their dog(s) with the Office of the Town Clerk in the town of residence no later than the 30th of June each year.
- For first time licensing, or if your dog’s rabies vaccination has expired, you must include a valid rabies certificate in order to license your dog(s). To obtain the discounted license fee for spayed or neutered animals you must include a copy of the spay/neuter certificate.
- The licensing fee is $19.00 for each unaltered dog or $8.00 for each spayed or neutered dog. There is a $1.00 per month late fee assessed for overdue licenses. Failure to license your dog(s) is punishable by a fine in the amount of $75.00 per dog.
- Licenses may be obtained in person at the Ashford Town Clerk’s office during normal business hours. You may also obtain licenses through the U.S. Postal Service. Please print the Dog License Application and return it with full payment to the Town Clerk, 5 Town Hall Road, Ashford CT 06278, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your dog tags.
- Checks must be marked payable to “Town of Ashford”. Please complete a separate application for each dog you must license.
Individuals getting married in Connecticut must obtain their marriage license no more than 65 days before their wedding from the Town Clerk’s office in the town where the wedding is to take place.
- Both parties must apply for the license in person.
- The fee for a marriage license is $50.00.
- The fee for a certified copy of a marriage license is $20.00
- Changing your name for land record purposes? Complete the Change of Name due to marriage form above.
- Same sex marriages became legal in Connecticut on November 12, 2008.
- Copies of birth certificates are on file in the Town Clerk’s office in the town of occurrence, in the Town Clerk’s office in the town of residence of the mother at the time of birth, or visit the State of Connecticut Department of Vital Statistics website.
- You may obtain a certified copy from any of these sources.
- The fee is $20.00 per copy.
All requests for birth certificates must be made in writing. If you are requesting a birth certificate by mail, please include the following:
- Full name and date of birth of individual named on the certificate
- Parents’ full names when birth occurred (including mother’s maiden name)
- Proof of identification (copy of your current driver’s license or any other photo ID)
- If photo ID is not available, copies of two of the following may be used: Social Security card, written verification of identity from employer (on letter head), automobile registration, copy of utility bill showing name and address, pay stub with name on it, checking account deposit slip stating name and address.
- Please be sure to include address where the certificate is to be sent, and all requests must be signed.
- Copies of death certificates are on file in the Town Clerk’s office where an individual died, the Town Clerk’s office where an individual resided before their death, or visit the State of Connecticut Department of Vital Statistics website.
- In order to obtain a certified copy of a death certificate, you must provide the name and date of death of the individual
- The fee for certified copies is $20.00
Visit the CT Department of Environmental Protection website.
- Sporting licenses are issued for a calendar year. For current licensing fees click here.
- No hunting or trapping license will be issued to any person unless proof is provided that they held a resident license within the last five years, a certificate indicating successful completion of a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms Course or certificate showing completion of equivalent state course.
- Licenses may now be purchased online directly from the Department of Environmental Protection.
- Any veteran may file their discharge papers with the Town Clerk’s office free of charge. Original DD214’s or certified copies of DD214’s are acceptable.
- After filing their DD214, any veteran who served in the military during a time of war as defined in Connecticut General Statute may apply for a property tax exemption on their home or automobile in the Assessor’s Office Document List.
Absentee Ballots and Voter Registration
- Register to Vote OnLine or change information on your voter registration
- Application for Absentee Ballot Absentee Ballot Application (Regular Election 11.3.2020) Fillable Form EXTERNAL
- Voter Registration Form (downloadable)
- State of Connecticut Statute Section 35-1(a) requires any person doing business in Connecticut, except as provided by statute, under any name other than name of the person or persons conducting or transacting such business, must register a trade name certificate with the Town Clerk’s office in the town where the business is or is to be conducted or transacted.
- Trade Name certificates are available by Trade Name
- The fee for filing a Trade Name Certificate is $10.00
Other Duties – Fees
- Liquor License Filing Fee – $20.00
- Filing of Notary Commission – $20.00 (renewable every 5 years) We also provide Notary Services.
- Foreclosure Registration Requirements
5 Town Hall Road Ashford, CT 06278
Monday8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Tuesday8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Wednesday8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Friday8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Also open Wednesday evenings from 7PM to 9PM