Town Clerk’s Office

The office of the Town Clerk is the repository for the maintenance and safekeeping of records for the Town of Ashford. Housed in the fire-proof vault or in the office of the Town Clerk are all land records, Town Meeting minutes, Town Ordinances, birth/marriage/civil union/death records, land surveys, election records, trade names, liquor permits, contracts, town reports, veterans discharge filings, Town board/commission/agency agendas and minutes, listings of Notaries Public, Justices of the Peace, election records, and other historical documents. In addition to maintaining records, the Town Clerk’s Office is the place to go for absentee ballots, copies of vital records, dog licenses, marriage licenses, voter registration forms, etc.

  • Sherri L. Mutch, CCTC, CMC, Town Clerk – Appointed by Selectmen
  • Karen M. Zulick, CCTC, Assistant Town Clerk – Appointed by Town Clerk
  • Beverly G. Ference, CCTC, Assistant Town Clerk – Appointed by Town Clerk

Download Documents, Forms and Applications

Fee Increases Effective July 1, 2018 – Public Act No. 18-136

  • Liquor Permit Filing: $ 20.00
  • Misc. Document Filing (trade names) $ 10.00
  • Map Filing & Indexing: $ 20.00
  • Subdiv. Map Filing & Index: $ 30.00
  • Notary Public Oath & Comm. $ 20.00
  • Notary Public Character Certification $ 5.00
  • Marriage License Fee: $ 50.00
  • Removal, Transit and Burial Permit $ 5.00
  • Cremation Permit: $ 5.00

Land Records

Our indexes are now available online at the Cott Systems Portal, a fee based on-line access to Town records.

Connecticut Town Clerks Portal - RECORD Hub

The Town Clerk’s office maintains records pertaining to property transactions in the Town of Ashford such as deeds, mortgages, liens, maps, condominium documents, easements and certain probate matters.

  • Recording fees are $60.00 for the first page of a document and $5.00 for each subsequent page.
  • When recording a document with conveyance consideration, an additional $2.00 fee is charged to cover administrative costs for filing the forms with the State of Connecticut Revenue Department. (
  • The recording fee for a map is $10.00, Subdivisions are $20.00.
  • Copies of land records are available for $1.00 per copy.
  • There is a $2.00 fee to certify a copy of a document.
  • There is a $20.00 fee for hand-held scanner usage.
  • All fees and charges are set by State of Connecticut Statutes.

Dog Licensing

Dog License Application (pdf)

Pursuant to Connecticut General Statute the owner of each dog over the age of six (6) months must license their dog(s) with the Office of the Town Clerk in the town of residence no later than the 30th of June each year.

  • For first time licensing, or if your dog’s rabies vaccination has expired, you must include a valid rabies certificate in order to license your dog(s). To obtain the discounted license fee for spayed or neutered animals you must include a copy of the spay/neuter certificate.
  • The licensing fee is $19.00 for each unaltered dog or $8.00 for each spayed or neutered dog. There is a $1.00 per month late fee assessed for overdue licenses. Failure to license your dog(s) is punishable by a fine in the amount of $75.00 per dog.
  • Licenses may be obtained in person at the Ashford Town Clerk’s office during normal business hours. You may also obtain licenses through the U.S. Postal Service. Please print the Dog License Application and return it with full payment to the Town Clerk, 5 Town Hall Road, Ashford CT 06278, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your dog tags.
  • Checks must be marked payable to “Town of Ashford”. Please complete a separate application for each dog you must license.

Marriage Licenses

Marriage License Worksheet 20 (pdf)
Change of Name Certificate (pdf)

Individuals getting married in Connecticut must obtain their marriage license no more than 65 days before their wedding from the Town Clerk’s office in the town where the wedding is to take place.

  • Both parties must apply for the license in person.
  • The fee for a marriage license is $50.00.
  • The fee for a certified copy of a marriage license is $20.00
  • Changing your name for land record purposes? Complete the Change of Name due to marriage form above.
  • Same sex marriages became legal in Connecticut on November 12, 2008.

Birth Certificates

Birth Certificate Copy Request Form

  • Copies of birth certificates are on file in the Town Clerk’s office in the town of occurrence, in the Town Clerk’s office in the town of residence of the mother at the time of birth, or visit the State of Connecticut Department of Vital Statistics website.
  • You may obtain a certified copy from any of these sources.
  • The fee is $20.00 per copy.

All requests for birth certificates must be made in writing. If you are requesting a birth certificate by mail, please include the following:

  • Full name and date of birth of individual named on the certificate
  • Parents’ full names when birth occurred (including mother’s maiden name)
  • Proof of identification (copy of your current driver’s license or any other photo ID)
  • If photo ID is not available, copies of two of the following may be used: Social Security card, written verification of identity from employer (on letter head), automobile registration, copy of utility bill showing name and address, pay stub with name on it, checking account deposit slip stating name and address.
  • Please be sure to include address where the certificate is to be sent, and all requests must be signed.

Death Certificates

Death Certificate Copy Request Form

  • Copies of death certificates are on file in the Town Clerk’s office where an individual died, the Town Clerk’s office where an individual resided before their death, or visit the State of Connecticut Department of Vital Statistics website.
  • In order to obtain a certified copy of a death certificate, you must provide the name and date of death of the individual
  • The fee for certified copies is $20.00

Sporting Licenses

Visit the CT Department of Environmental Protection website.

  • Sporting licenses are issued for a calendar year. For current licensing fees click here.
  • No hunting or trapping license will be issued to any person unless proof is provided that they held a resident license within the last five years, a certificate indicating successful completion of a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms Course or certificate showing completion of equivalent state course.
  • Licenses may now be purchased online directly from the Department of Environmental Protection.

Veteran’s Papers

  • Any veteran may file their discharge papers with the Town Clerk’s office free of charge. Original DD214’s or certified copies of DD214’s are acceptable.
  • After filing their DD214, any veteran who served in the military during a time of war as defined in Connecticut General Statute may apply for a property tax exemption on their home or automobile in the Assessor’s Office Document List.

Absentee Ballots and Voter Registration

Trade Names

Certificate of Adoption of Trade Name (pdf)

  • State of Connecticut Statute Section 35-1(a) requires any person doing business in Connecticut, except as provided by statute, under any name other than name of the person or persons conducting or transacting such business, must register a trade name certificate with the Town Clerk’s office in the town where the business is or is to be conducted or transacted.
  • Trade Name certificates are available by Trade Name
  • The fee for filing a Trade Name Certificate is $10.00

Other Duties – Fees

  • Liquor License Filing Fee – $20.00
  • Filing of Notary Commission – $20.00 (renewable every 5 years) We also provide Notary Services.
  • Foreclosure Registration Requirements

Contact Information

5 Town Hall Road Ashford, CT 06278

Opening hours

  • Monday
    8:30 am - 3:00 pm
  • Tuesday
    8:30 am - 3:00 pm
  • Wednesday
    8:30 am - 3:00 pm
  • Thursday
  • Friday
    8:30 am - 3:00 pm
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Also open Wednesday evenings from 7PM to 9PM

Back to top