Youth and Social Services
Melissa McDonough, Director
Hours and Locations
Youth and Social Services office hours at the Ashford Town Office Building are Monday’s and Tuesdays from 9 A. M. until 3 P. M.
Office hours at Ashford School will be Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8 A. M. until 3P.M.
- Appointments may also be scheduled as needed.
Contact Youth and Social Services
- 860-487-4417 Town Office Building
Housing Voucher Program Pre-Application Information
Covid-19 rental assistance is available through the state
The state is offering assistance paying for Broadband internet-click link for more information
Youth & Social Services Upcoming Programs and Events
- Music & Motion information – (Program currently not meeting) For Children ages 4 and under and their parents. Movement, music, stories, and fun. Tuesdays 10-10:30 A.M. at Knowlton Hall, 25 Pompey Hollow Rd
Need Help with Diapers?
Diaper Bank information (pdf)
The IHSP-Diaper Bank of NECT is accepting applications for families residing in the towns of Ashford, Eastford, and Chaplin. Diapers available for pick-up in Ashford. Anyone receiving WIC, SNAP, or Husky qualifies automatically. Call or email Melissa for one page application.
Ashford School Readiness Council Playgroup
Readiness Council Playgroup information 2018 (pdf)
(Program currently not meeting) This is a playgroup for children ages 4 and under and their parents! Begins on Friday, September 7th at Ashford School, 9:30-10:30 A.M. Join us for free play, crafts, parent discussion, and support!
Contact Melissa McDonough or Ginger Lusa for more information at 860-429-6419.
Food Program Application 2021
In addition to the grant funded Food Program, a food pantry is available at the Living Proof Church, 34 Pompey Hollow Rd.
The pantry is open from 7 A.M. – 9 A.M. on the following dates in 2021:
- January 22
- February 26th
- March 26th
- April 23rd
- May 28th
- June 25th
- July 23rd
- August 27th
- September 24th
- October 22nd
- November 19th
- December 17th
Are you over 65?
Are you Disabled?
Are you a Renter?
Did you earn less than $45,800 if married or $37,600 if single?
Then you may qualify for a Renters Rebate from OPM
Required Documentation (all for calendar year 2020)
Proof of Income Including:
- Social Security income (form SSA 1099) & SSI if applicable
- Copy of 2018 Federal Income Tax Return, if filed
- 1099 forms for pension, dividends, interest, stocks & bonds, etc.
- W-2’s from employment
- Veterans Disability or Railroad Retirement
Proof of Expenses Including:
- Rent receipts for 2020 (all 12 months)
- Utility bills paid in 2020 (heat, gas, electric only)
Home Heating Assistance
Help may be available to assist in home heating bills this winter.
Family size of 1 $39,027 Family size of 4 $75,052
Family size of 2 $51,035 Family size of 5 $87,060
Family size of 3 $63,044 Family size of 6 $99,069
- Proof of previous 4 weeks income (including child support, unemployment, family support)
- Proof of all assets (bank statements)
- 30 day activity report of all bank accounts. This report must be produced by your bank.
- Social Security #’s for all household members
- Most recent Eversource bill
- Proof of rent or mortgage
- Proof of SNAP benefit (food stamps)
The CT Energy Assistance Program is designed to help offset the winter heating costs of CT’s lower income households. Heating assistance is available for all forms of heat including oil, electricity, propane, kerosene, wood, and gas.